Monday, May 5, 2014

May 5, 2014

Hey guys!

Well, this week started out pretty normal and then it ended quite differently that usual.  So I'll just focus on that part.  We read the story of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby in our English class and they absolutely loved it.  You know, the one where he gets thrown in the briar patch?  We practiced doing southern accents and I got to explain to everyone what a tarrypin was, so it was a blast.  We also held an English game night, where we invited all of our English students and played some board games.  I ended up playing monopoly with some of my Moldovan investigators, and it was the most insane game I've ever participated in.  There was so much wheelin and dealin going on that I had no idea what was happening or who even owned what.  I was sweating bullets for the longest time, but then once the smoke cleared, both the moldovans had all the money and properties and we americans were left with nothing.  I guess they know how to convince people out of their money haha.  Anyway, we also tried to have a family history activity where we helped people fill out little my family pamphlets and get them set up on FamilySearch and also tell them about the Romanian archives and how to find their ancestors.  However, some returned missionary came back and stole the show so we got little done, but it was still good!  A lot of people got set up on the site and started filling out those books.  So it's something!  It was also our first class ever, so we gotta start somewhere right?  Hopefully, we'll be able to build success and other good stuff out of classes like that in the future.

Culture Tip
So here in Romania, they're a very touchy feely society.  They really like human contact.  And one of their favorite human contacts in grabbing on the back of your neck and rubbing it.  They do it alllll the time when you're their friend.  It takes a while to get used to, but I don't actually mind it anymore.

Two Truths and a Lie
The answer to last weeks was getting hit on by the gay dude.  That did not happen to me, but did actually happen to the other elders in my district.

So for this week:

  • I made gumbo
  • I dropped my bouncy ball down the stormdrain and it was tragic
  • I got my arm stroked by a guy who works at a fast food place who really likes me for some reason

Pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment